Dr. Shekhar Bhansali, Alcatel Lucent Professor. Prof. and department chair of ECE is now the new director of the U.S. National Science Foundation (NSF) Division of Electrical, Communications, and Cyber Systems. Dr. Shekhar Bhansali’s expertise is in the field of biosensors, microfluidics, nanostructured catalysts, and microsystems. He has a background in developing microfluidic tools for DNA damage detection, 3D multicellular spheroid monitoring, real-time biomarker monitoring, automated cell health monitoring, cardiovascular diagnostic sensors, and many other diagnostic devices. Prof. Bhansali currently serves as director of NSF INCLUDES and NSF LSAMP Bridge to Doctorate Program, and co-director of NSF Engineering Research Center
Dr. Shekhar Bhansali is the key collaborator and holds a pioneering role in many efforts and researches in the EPSi Lab.
Professor Website: https://mems.fiu.edu/
Recent Invited Talks/Papers
- P. Bhushan, SV. Lahade, VA. Kamat, HA. Lev-Tov, RS. Kirsner, S.Bhansali “M02-3372 – (Sensor Division Outstanding Achievement Award Address) Towards Biosensor Enabled Smart Dressings for Management of Chronic Wounds: Advances and Perspectives” PRiME 2020 (ECS, ECSJ, & KECS Joint Meeting), 2020
- S. Bhansali, “Towards Biosensor Enabled Smart Dressings for Management of Chronic Wounds: Advances and Perspectives” IEEE Sensors, New Delhi, India October 28-31, 2018.
- S. K. Naveen Kumar, A. Akshaya Kumar, A. A. Aniley, S. Bhansali, and R. E. Fernandez, “Hydrothermal Growth of Zinc Oxide (ZnO) Nanorods and Structural and Optical Studies for Soil pH Measurement Applications” 1st International Conference on Materials and Systems, Yamagata, Japan Aug 26-30, 2018.
- S. RoyChoudhury, Y. Umasankar, and S. Bhansali, “Multimodal Enzymatic Sensing for Continuous Wound Monitoring”, 1st International Conference on Materials and Systems, Yamagata, Japan Aug 26-30, 2018.
- S. Bhansali, “Antibody-Free Electrochemical Detection of Cortisol Using Molecularly Imprinted Polymer” 227th ECS Meeting, May 24-28, 2015.
Recent Journal Publications
- Jalal, Y.Umasankar, EA. Pretto, S.Bhansali “A wearable micro-fuel cell sensor for the determination of blood alcohol content (BAC): a multivariate regression model approach.” ISSS J Micro Smart Syst (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s41683-020-00059-w
- Namuduri, M. Titze, S. Bhansali, H. Li. “Machine learning enabled lineshape analysis in optical two-dimensional coherent spectroscopy.” JOSA B 37.6 (2020): 1587-1591.
- Sonawane, M. Mujawar, S. Bhansali “Effects of cold atmospheric plasma treatment on the morphological and optical properties of plasmonic silver nanopartciles” Nanotechnology (2020).
- C. Pérez, A. Sanluis-Verdes, A. Waisman, A. Lombardi, G. Rosero, A. La Greca, S. Bhansali, N. Bourguignon, C. Luzzani, M.S. Pérez, S. Miriuka, B. Lerner “Single cell transfection of human induced pluripotent stem cells using a droplet-based microfluidic system” https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.06.09.143214
- Y. Mekonnen, S. Namuduri, L. Burton, A. Sarwat, S. Bhansali “Machine Learning Techniques in Wireless Sensor Network Based Precision Agriculture” Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 167, 3, 037522, 2020.
Recent Conference Papers
- S. V. Lahade, S. Namuduri, H. Upadhyay, S. Bhansali, “Alcohol Sensor Calibration on the Edge Using Tiny Machine Learning (Tiny-ML) Hardware” 237th ECS Meeting with the 18th International Meeting on Chemical Sensors (IMCS), 2020.
- A. Sonawane, M. Mujawar, S. Bhansali, “Plasma Assisted Control of Nanoparticle Distribution for Enhancing the Electrochemical Activity of Electrodes” 237th ECS Meeting with the 18th International Meeting on Chemical Sensors (IMCS), 2020.
- D.Vital, S. Bhansali, JL.Volakis, S.Bhardwaj, “Electronic Wound Monitoring Using Fabric-Integrated Data Modulation” Association for Psychological Science, 2020 .
- N.Bourguignon, V. A. Kamat, B. Lerner, M.Perez, S. Bhansali, “The Use of Lab on a Chip Devices to Evaluate Infectious Biofilm Formation and Assess Antibiotics and Nano Drugs Treatments” Meeting Abstracts, 44, 2103-2103, 2019.
- V. A. Kamat, T. Zhukov, S.Bhansali, “Rapid Selection of Active Circulating Tumor Cells Using Combined Electrical and Optical Detection in a ‘Lab on Chip’ Platform” Meeting Abstracts, 44, 2102-2102, 2019.
Recent Sponsored Programs
- NSF I-Corps: Large Microfluidic Bioreactor for Bio-molecule Manufacturing. PI, National Science Foundation, Jun 2020 – Nov 2020, $50,000.
- PFI-TT: A Low-Cost Cortisol Sensor for Real-Time Stress Monitoring, PI, National Science Foundation, Aug 2018 – Feb 2021, $288,255.
- LSAMP BD: Florida International University FGLSAMP, PI (with S. Montas-Hunter, L. Kos, M. Edington), National Science Foundation, Aug 2018 – July 2020, $1,075,000.
- NSF Nano systems Engineering Research Center for Advanced Self-Powered Systems of Integrated Sensors and Technologies (ASSIST) Co-PI (with Veena Misra, John Lach Susan Trolier-McKinstry, and Mehmet Ozturk), National Science Foundation, Sept. 2012 – Aug 2020, $34,601,497.
- Collaborative Research: AGEP Transformation Alliance: Improving Pathways in the Professoriate for Minority Women in STEM, co-PI (with S. Montas-Hunter, J. Hardrick), National Science Foundation, $533, 932.00, Aug 2019-Aug 2022.